A cover letter serves as an introduction to your résumé and is written with a specific job in mind.
The objective of a cover letter is to introduce yourself to the employer and encourage them to read your résumé. It also aims to show them that you are the right person for their business.
Your cover letter should outline your qualifications, experience, and positive work traits that are relevant to the role. It is also an opportunity to allow your personality to shine through, highlight your passions, aspirations and interests to demonstrate a personal touch.
How to write your cover letter
- Start with a brief introduction about yourself, mention the role you’re applying for and your interest in it.
- Give a snapshot of the relevant skills, experience and qualifications you have that relate to the job and include examples of your skills or mention how you’ve used them. This will usually cover 2-3 paragraphs in length.
- To finish, note that your resume is attached, and you can say that you’d welcome the opportunity to meet to discuss the role and reiterate your contact details.
Quick tips for improving your cover letter
- Make it engaging to capture the attention of the person reading it.
- Use clear, concise language and tailor your language to the environment you’re applying to.
- Tailor your cover letter to the role and include key words that are listed in the cover letter; key word matching will help the employer to see that you have the required attributes they are looking for.
- Research the role and the company, use examples of what you have learnt and reference their organisational values and how your personal values align with these.
- Rather than writing ‘To whom it may concern’ or ‘Dear Sir or Madam’, find out who to address your letter to. It’s more personal that way and shows you’ve taken initiative.
- Triple check your spelling and grammar and keep your cover letter to one page.
Writing your cover letter may feel intimidating at first when you’re looking at a blank page, so remember we are always here to assist. Writing cover letters is one of our specialty areas, get in touch today to see how we can help you land your dream job.