Becoming a parent can be one of the most profound, life changing experiences a person will go through in their life. Nothing can prepare you for becoming a parent and how it will change you. It can make you question who you are, what you are doing and the roles you want to forge ahead with in life.
One of the main questions that is pondered during parental leave is related to work. You go through all the profound changes and feel like this completely new person, but when you return to your old job, or find yourself home alone with the baby, you feel lost. You know your old job is no longer fulfilling you anymore, or you know you want to do something more than stay at home with the kids, but you just don’t know what.
With the kids back at school, you may find yourself with 5 minutes to spare, so now could be the perfect time to figure out what it is you want out of life.
These eight questions, written by recruitment expert and Director at Top Talent Executive, Tracey Lane, are designed to help you find your passion, purpose or path.
Take your time with the questions and be truly honest with your answers and you might be surprised what you come up with.
1. What are your 3 favourite topics to discuss? What could you talk about for hours on end?
2. Ask 5 people who love and know you best what they believe you would be amazing at doing- no judgments, just listen!
3. Think of 5 people that inspire you, either locally or globally. Who are they and what is it about them that sparks something within you?
4. What are you doing when you are totally ‘in your element’ and time just disappears?
5. If you were granted a wish that would ensure you make money from your creativity & talents and you could not fail, what would you do?
6. What do people ask you for information or advice about? Which areas are you deemed to be a little fountain of knowledge?
7. What do you like to spend your time reading, viewing, watching or learning about?
8. If you didn’t need to make money and you had an endless fountain of funds, what would you do to keep yourself busy every day? (not including travelling the world, buying your dream car and house, etc) What would you want to do day in/day out?
Finding your passion is an ongoing, sometimes lifelong journey. It takes many moments of thoughtful self-reflection and action to find the topics, ideas and industries that make you feel excited. How you might integrate your passions into your life vary significantly from person to person.
Some people choose to pursue their passions during free time outside of work, while others prefer to dedicate their day-to-day work life to their passions. The choice you make will depend on what your passion is, whether it is easily transferred into a sustainable living and whether you want your income to be tied to your passion.
For anyone seeking advice on their career journey, we offer career coaching as one of our services. This can be an opportunity to ascertain your career direction, confirm your talents and transferable skills and gain valuable information on labour market and job search strategies.
Jessica Bosco Courtesy of Notsomumsy